Mike Ford Tennis Center at Stimpson Park is home to 12 lighted courts (six hydro courts and six hard courts), and an outdoor lighted walking track. The tennis facility is open for public play and tennis lessons are also available. For information, call 251-990-9526. This park is located at the corner of Morphy Avenue and Mershon Street with the main entrance located at Young Street.
Monday – Friday 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Saturday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Sunday 12 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Tomas Catar has coached professional players, top junior and college players throughout the country and is experienced teaching juniors and adults of all ages. During his coaching career he has established numerous successful adult and junior tennis programs.
Tomas is the only coach in Alabama awarded the Master of Tennis (Performance Coaching) title with Professional Tennis Registry. This certification is equivalent to highest International Tennis Federation coaching certification. The qualification matches the National Standards for Sports Coaches at the highest level, which is Level 5, and is recognized and endorsed by the United States Olympic Committee.
Other accomplishments/titles include:
- 2016 Alabama PTR Tennis Professional of the Year
- National tester and workshop clinician for PTR national coaching certification workshops
- USTA Alabama Junior Competition Committee member
- Founder and director of the Gulf Coast Tennis Association, registered with USTA (non-profit community tennis association)
- Wilson Advisory Team member
His playing experience reaches to number one ranking in the world on the ITF junior circuit, European junior championship title and as a professional to the Davis Cup World group, Grand Slam tournaments and ATP world ranking 230. His experience as a player and a coach help him bring a unique set of skills to Fairhope and players of all ages. For more information, call the Tennis Center at 251-990-9526.
Fall Junior Tennis Programs
- Tiny Tots (ages 4-6), 3:00-3:30 p.m. Mondayday, $25
- Future Stars (ages 7-10), 4:00-5:00 p.m. Monday, $40
- Level 1 and 2 (ages 9-17) Beginner/Intermediate Level, Tuesday & Thursday 3:30-5 p.m., $90
- Level 3 (tournament and high school players) Tuesday & Thursday 5-6:30 p.m., $110
Adult Tennis Clinic
- Beginner Adult Tennis Clinic: 6-7 p.m. Thursday, $85 for a six-week session. Learn basic techniques and strategies, meet new friends and have fun while exercising.
- Open Adult Clinic: 9:30-10:30 a.m. Friday, $65 for a four-week session or $18 walk-in. Improve your doubles game through progression of dead ball, live ball and competitive decision-making drills: technical and tactical/game development, developing doubles defensive and offensive skills; serve, return and serve and specialty shots development.