Fairhope Public Utilities

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Water and Sewer

You can now open a ticket with us though our Fairhope 311 ticket system.   

Jay Whitman 


The Water and Sewer Department administrative offices are located at 555 S. Section Street in the Public Utilities warehouse. The offices are open Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Service is available 7 days a week, 365 days per year. New services and reconnects are handled by the Meter Department located at City Hall, 161 North Section Street. City Hall is open from 8 a.m. to 5 pm., Monday through Friday. You may reach them by calling 928-2136.

Fairhope’s Water Department dates to 1916 when a “modern” steel water tower was installed behind the city hall (now the Fairhope Museum of History). Prior to that, from Fairhope’s founding in 1894, residents relied on a town pump located in the middle of the intersection of Fairhope Avenue and Section Street.Public Utilities

Today, Fairhope’s Water Department is the largest supplier of water in Baldwin County, with nearly 17,372 hookups, serving an estimated 40,000 people. The City operates five water towers with 6.6 million gallons of storage and pumps an average of 4.6 million gallons of water a day from ten wells, all drawing from a vast underground aquifer. The Department also maintains 65 lift stations and one waste water treatment facility.

In 2007, the water department earned a Water Fluoridation Quality Award that recognizes a year of consistent fluoride levels for optimum oral health. Also in 2007, the City’s Wastewater Treatment Plant was awarded “Best Operated Plant” in the state in its size category. The Wastewater division maintains and oversees 65 wastewater lift stations and 129 miles of sewer lines.

Most recently, the Fairhope Water Department was voted "Best Tasting Water" in the Alabama/Mississippi Section of the American Water Works Association and in March 2013 Fairhope was also voted "Best Tasting Water" by the Alabama Rural Water  Association. 

Annual Water Quality Report

2019 Water Quality Report [PDF] 

Mobile Baykeeper Fly Creek Water Quality Report [PDF]

Lead and Copper Plan with Materials Inventory [PDF]

Sewer Capacity Study [PDF]

Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How can I have my drinking water tested?
A: If you need additional testing of your water there are state certified labs in Mobile that can assist you.

Q: How do I report a blocked street drain, broken water main or broken manhole cover?
A: Customer service calls for reporting outages or other services are accepted from 7 am to 4 pm at 251-928-8003 after hours call the Fairhope Police Department at 251-928-2385. The Water and Sewer Department has employees on call 7 days a week, 365 days per year.

Q: What is the process for replacing a septic tank with a sewer line?
A: The process is to call the Fairhope Public Utilities,Water & Sewer Department to ensure that sewer service is available before hiring any contractors. You may call 251-928-8003 for assistance. 

For additional information, call 251-928-8003 or email 

For Billing or payment inquiries, please email 

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer